20/08/2012

Barbara Hepworth Rocks!

A few weeks ago we went to St Ives to see the Barbara Hepworth exhibition which is held in her old studio. It is so fantastic to see her work in the space that it would have been created in.
You really felt as if she had just popped out for a cup of tea and would appear at any moment in her dust filled overalls.
My husband is not from an art background so I have to be very selective with what I take him to, as I don't want to put him off art, rather I want to get him excited by it. It is so interesting for me to hear his comments, as they aren't based in art theory or University training, just pure, gut reactions to pieces.
It was magically to hear him say that they were very much like Henry Moore sculptures which he is sure were inspired by the rock formations we had seen in The Peak district- a place where Henry Moore walked. How amazing is that! 
I quite liked the wire work, and it wasn't something that I was familiar with. In fact I would love to have a go at this medium for my own work.
We arrived with the smell of polish in the air. There were people up on ladders holding what looked like hairdryers, cleaning and polishing her work. 
We just loved the garden, which wasn't very big but she had made full use of it's size by creating pathways behind bushes etc which made you think that it was much bigger. I loved her little shed which I have read was her retreat.
Peering through the window it even had a little bed made up....just perfect!
Even her plants had rocks to keep them company that looked very much like her work....or something that had been collected from the beach. Truly inspiring.

No comments: